Thursday, June 19, 2008

Graduation Day of 3 SMAKs Bandung

Hi, it's my first blog though I have my personal web for almost 10 years. http://geocities.com/uget1st. Anyway, I hope my blog doesn't get you bored.

I've been an English teacher for 17 years next Dec. 2009
(see details at the bottom). It was such a wonderful feeling,
yet a bit lonely inside sometimes, when joining 3 graduation
ceremonies of the students I taught in Bandung, all in 2008.
SMAK 1 on June 16, SMAK 3 on June 18 morning and
SMAK 2 on June 18 afternoon.

Flying colours everywhere, especially with mark "10" (perfect)
with SMAK 1 at least 50 marks (Math, Chemistry),
with SMAK 2 5 marks (Math: 2 IPA, and 3 IPS),
and SMAK 3 2 marks (Math IPS).

The celebrations were very academically done, applauses
everywhere, smiles thrown by graduates and teachers
to each other. Snacks at the end, except SMAK 2 with dinner.
In each celebration, I ran home to Jakarta in a hurry, spending
only 2.5 hours out of more than 3.5 hours service and ceremony
I guess, except for SMAK 3 Bandung, which I fully attended.

Yet, something bothers me, you know what?
Though some graduates smiled at me, and some
called me and shook my hands, I felt kind of emptiness
inside me. Pride, satisfaction (including sadness for those
failing the state exams in SMAK 2 and 3), then what?

I went back and forth, Jakarta and Bandung,
yes, bringing home some Bandung brownies for staff
in BPK PENABUR Jakarta (morning prayer session)
and my folks at home, in my own 2.5-hour loneliness
in the cold Cipaganti travel car. What have I done?
What have the graduations done for me?

I do thank SMAK 1 PENABUR Bandung for giving me
and a few Cambridge class teachers appreciation for its
1st graduates' wonderful achievements. Invited on stage!
I do thank SMAK 1, too, for inviting me and most year 12
teachers for helping regular class graduates (me, teaching
bilingual class IPA and regular class IPS) to score "A"
for English and other subjects in state exams (UN 2008).

I believe it's time for me, at my age close to 40, to
be raise my own kids, and see them grow and graduate.
Then, probably, I guess, I may feel totally different
satisfaction! Don't you think so? :)

SDK 7 PENABUR Bintaro (1991-93)
SMP Regina Pacis W. Jkt (93-96)
SMAK 1 PENABUR W. Jkt (93-2001)
SMAK 7 PENABUR E. Jkt (2001-05)
SMAK 3 PENABUR Bandung (2005-08)
SMPK 5 PENABUR Bandung (2005-07)
SMAK 1 PENABUR Bandung (2006-now)
SMAK 2 PENABUR Bandung (2007-08)
SMAK PENABUR Gading Serpong Brilliant Class (2007-now)
SMPK 7 PENABUR W. Jkt (2008-...)

4 comments:

A said...

Hello Sir!
How are you doing?
I just knew that you're currently teaching brilliant class and penabur bandung at the same time? Which means, you're going back and forth jakarta-bandung every week? Wow, that's tough..

Sir's Diary said...

Yup. It cost me to lose 18kg fats. Ha ha ... that's another story. Stay in a boarding house near Papa Ron's pizza.
BTW, how's your study, Andrego? Contact me for a small reunion. Pizza time!! ;)

A said...

18 kgs? Wow, that's cool!
Well, my study's been pretty good so far, Sir. I'll be back to Indo next month. Okay, see ya then. GBU.

Jeng Puli said...

Hello Sir Teguh,

Having been teaching for almost the same amount of time as you, I totally get it! Well, seeing the students embark to their pursuit of life is huge satisfaction in and of itself. What do you think?

I'll see you soon in Jakarta!

From Seattle with love,
"Bu" Pauli