Thursday, August 07, 2008

Exciting learning technique at SMPK 7!

I've been an English teacher for five year 8 classes here at SMPK 7 Sunrise Garden, W. Jakarta, since mid-July 2008 as a substitute class. I was a teacher at SMP Regina Pacis in 1993-1996, and at SMPK 5 BPK PENABUR Bandung in 2005-2007, yet I felt a bit nervous here.
After two weeks of struggles and patience with these cheerful, a bit talkative class, finally I have found a way to cheer them up. Oral quiz!! By using the module 1 in "Challenges", these youngsters were crazy for raising their hands to answer vocabulary (synonyms, opposites/antonyms/translations) and some reading comprehensions on the topic "Boarding Schools". At least 25 questions in 30 minutes.
Gee. What a bit noisy interaction. I wish the other classes next door had not been disturbed. I truly enjoyed my new finding about what kind of activity matched their appetite ;)
Now, got to think of what I will be doing with those not having points as only 15 of 37 students in each class, on average, have got some points. Mmm ... any idea? Pointing them one by one?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A bit talkative?
Just a bit?

lol :D
Hehee, you didn't seem nervous, Sir, on your first day in my class (8a)

Anyway, thanks for inform us about Sederet.com ! It's really really useful Sir XD