Monday, September 21, 2009

Strange dishes on holidays!

Well, well, here is another holiday without servants. IED holiday! Creativity ... and calamity came! Ha ha ... yesterday, I made breakfast for my small family. You know what? Indonesian "soto" (beef soup). Actually, I did not make, but just heatened the already bought "soto".

What happened then? I had bought some salted eggs ("telor asin"). I broke one, and taraaa! The yolk flew out of it. I could not believe it I had bought raw duck's eggs. 8 of them. Well, I quickly put it into the pan with still boiling "soto". Just now I overheard my sis, brother and dad gossiping about the "eggs" inside the beef soup I created. It turned out the yolk turned into something my vegetarian sis was reluctant to have. She had thought there was something wrong with the thick, bubbling soup. Haah!

Well, today I was smarter, I guess. This morning at 6.30 something I felt so starving I could eat an elephant! I boiled 3 duck's eggs (not salted eggs, of course), for some 5 minutes, I guess. Duck's eggs are slightly bigger and rounder, you know, than chicken's. Meanwhile, I defroze another "soto"/beef soup, and put into it the 3 already peeled boiled duck's eggs. 2nd menu served!

Surprise!! When I tasted SIR's beef soup, what a pride I had. Here is the COOK's own dish! Ha ha ... no sooner than that did I find out another surprise: the boiled duck's eggs were half-cooked! I should've boiled it for 6-7 minutes instead of 5. I love half-cooked sunny-side-up/ "telor mata sapi", but this was a half-cooked boiled egg in one beef soup! Something unusual!

Gosh! I need to learn how to appreciate what the cooks, or my servants, make for our meals. Cooking has never been weirder! I hope my cousin, happening to be the cook of Chinese dishes in "pasar Modern", BSD, can teach me how to cook well! Well, once I cooked my students the green pungent "pete" with sweet/soyabean ketchup. Guess how many ate? Ha ha ... only 4 of 12 students did in that dorm supper. Phew!

Wish this holiday to last longer, not just for a full week. Then, I could cook the strangest dishes amateurly cooked for your pleasure to read and enjoy here!

No comments: